Thursday 31 January 2008

The "Old Man" Cometh!

He's on his way. The road cycling, marathon running, mountain bike single speeding, all round good egg, that is my Old Man. He's in damn good shape for his years and doubtless he'll be looking forward to getting active during his visit to my humble abode. Luckily for me I'm in my "rest phase" and won't be joining him for his doubtless intended training runs of half marathon distance and beyond come wind, rain, or both! No, six miles or so is the extent of my winter running outings at present. Of course, he's bringing one of his bikes and I'm looking forward to doing a few miles together.

The last time I rode any distance with the old boy was in Sweden last summer. He said he'd been getting a "few" off road miles in on the single speed in the months before we met up. When I arrived I could see he wasn't kidding. He was looking lean and mean! Having already sussed out miles of local forest trails, I had the luxury of been guided round some pretty decent tracks. As a new-comer to mountain biking, Pops impressed with his trail handling skills and hill climbing prowess. Although of course, as he's fond of reminding me, "I use to ride across moorland on my bike many a time when I was a lad!". Yes, years before the likes of Gary Fisher and Mike Sinyard were riding their clunkers and sowing the seeds of modern day mountain biking, The Pale Rider Senior was hammering the trails on his cast iron hobby horse! And doubtless many others of his generation and earlier ones can claim the same thing. Good to know.

It's also good to know that if I keep myself in shape and don't have a tragic accident with a steam roller or something similar, I'll still be cycling and running in my 60's and, hopefully, well beyond. And if there's anyone reading this who is in their 60's and thinks it's too late to get in shape, you couldn't be more wrong. The road and trail awaits you.....

Well, the hour grows late and I need my rest.

Night all.

TPR