Wednesday 6 February 2008

Ride Safe

With the sad loss of a well known cyclist recently, thoughts turn again to the dangers of cycling on the road.

There's no doubt about it, cyclists are very vulnerable. I've had several close shaves myself, including one a couple of years ago where I still can't believe I got away with it. It was so close (in the last fraction of a second I resigned myself to the horrendous impact) and "serious injury guaranteed" that instead of the anger, or shock, one usually feels after such incidents, for some while afterwards I couldn't stop grinning with sheer relief! I was very lucky.

As a cyclist, I think it pays to assume that at every junction, roundabout, etc there is the potential for you to get knocked down. Proceed with the mind set that drivers will not see you. If possible try to make eye contact with drivers. Have they seen you? Will they approach or pass you with caution? At every parked car, assume that someone inside will open the door as you approach. You can guarantee that on the one occasion you don't, out will pop the car door! The ultimate example thus far of a driver not seeing me on my bike happened one Christmas not too long ago.

I was approaching a cross roads down the main road indicating right. At the cross roads was a chap in a car who was clearly intending to go straight over, i.e. he was at the give way - my right of way. Despite the fact that there were no over vehicles in sight, visibility was excellent and I was wearing a bright blue top, as I started to make my turn, I knew that the guy in the car hadn't see me. Out of the junction he started to pull. Only at the point of me being just to the side of his wing (after taking quick avoiding action!) and literally staring him in the face through the windscreen did he see me. And when he did, the look said, "Christ, where did you come from!?". Well, up the road, plain as day, for about 100 yards was the answer!

Whilst being cautious, you should assert your position on the road. If you ride too close to the kerb or side of the road, drivers will be tempted to go around you when they should wait for any traffic coming in the opposite direction to pass, if there's clearly not enough room. You may feel pressured by vehicles behind you, but by trying to accomodate them and tempting them to pass, you may well put yourself in more danger. If, however, you feel the breath of an enormous lorry bearing down on you from the rear on a quiet, narrow, country lane, it might be very sensible to pull in and let it pass. Employ common sense. Not only might this prevent you from being squashed, it will help make the lorry driver in question that bit more cyclist friendly, which can't be a bad thing!

Above all else, NEVER ride pillion on a brakeless BMX with a lunatic at the controls who has a tendency to ride through busy cross roads without looking, screaming like a banshee, after spending the afternoon in the pub and whilst carrying a large bag of takeaway curry!.........as an also "very lucky" friend of mine once did many moons ago.

Take care out there.

The Pale Rider