Sunday 27 January 2008

Darkman

Hello again, people!

In the winter months I occasionally head out for a night ride on the mountain bike. I particularly like setting off as dusk is falling, as I decided to late this afternoon. The trail starts right outside my door and within a mile I'm on forest track. Where am I going? I'm not really sure! But, I know the tracks, so no worries. Within half an hour darkness closes in and my lights show the way ahead.

There's a cold wind blowing, but the skies are fairly clear - little danger of rain. With no light polution the stars are bright and numerous. I've decided to do a straight out and back ride. I come to a short, sharp climb and power up it. I'm feeling good and enjoy the exertion. A few more miles go by and soon enough I reach my furthest point. I dismount, switch my lights off and lay the bike down. The wind has dropped and I stand motionless, listening intently. Apart from the slight movement of the nearby trees in the breeze it is silent. The nearest farmhouse is about four miles away. Looking skywards, I try to identify a few constellations with my limited knowledge of the night sky. After five minutes or so I begin to contemplate heading back, but the stillness and "back of beyond" feel to the place makes me linger.

The chill of the night air eventually sparks me back to life and I turn for home. Having warmed back up during the first mile or so, I begin to up the tempo. The forest track starts to head downwards and my speed picks up. I click into the big gears and hammer it. The thought of a deer dashing out in front of me crosses my mind, but I dismiss it. I think they'll have heard and seen me coming some way back! Something flashes overhead and to the front. An owl, I think. There's plenty around. The last mile or so is all down hill, but soft and loose in places. I ease off a bit, not wanting to come a cropper in sight of the finish.

Back at the homestead safe and sound. That was a good one. A quick clean of my trusty steed, then whack the Shepherd's Pie in the oven (one I prepared earlier!). Shower and a couple of strong real ales by the coal fire while the foods a cookin'. Yes Siree, all's well with The Pale Rider tonight.