Friday 11 April 2008

Show Time!

Hello!

Firstly, apologies for my weather prediction in my previous post. So much for no more snow or gritting wagons! Surely winter is about to begger off until next year soon though! Let's hope so.

Well, we have some local road cycling races this weekend. All time trials, they're taking place in and around Forres. We have a 10 mile time-trial (TT), a 25 mile TT and hilly TT of around 17 miles.

I'm particularly looking forward to watching some of the hilly TT. I'm not competing myself - no, I'm afraid what with my dicky knee and dicky bladder, I'll just have to sit this one out on the touch lines with the fat wheezy boys, as General Melchett might say. As such, I intend to observe a bit of the action on one or two of the climbs. There's nothing too steep to tackle on the course, but a couple of the climbs are quite long. One of these is "Craigmill" which comes a mile or so outside Rafford. A gradual ascent, it should suit powerful flat land riders who can also climb a bit. I tested myself on this particular climb recently and posted a time of 6 minutes dead - only to the junction the turns left to Edinvale mind - but not too shabby a time I think. However, that's just a mile and a half perhaps, whereas Sunday's unfortunates must crucify themselves for 17 miles - such is the nature of the "race of truth". Those hoping to do well in the hilly must, as always, think carefully about pacing. Any rider, for example, who reaches the final long hill out of Pluscarden with not much left in the tank will doubtless lose vast amounts of time to those who have kept some powder dry. Here we could see a spot of seriously demoralising "overtaking", i.e. riders being caught by the competitor behind. The very thought of it!

For those seeking a spot of climbing inspiration, here's a short clip of Mr A. showing how it should be done - the famous Stage 9 of the 1999 Tour de France from Le Grand Bornand to Sestriere (courtesy of YouTube). Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiCIJ2JewPE

Just a short post this evening. The night is fine for the moment and I feel like getting a few miles in on the road bike before darkness falls. It only remains for me to wish all this weekend's competitors the very best of luck and a safe race.

Regards

TPR