Sunday 27 April 2008

Extreme!

Howdy doody!

What a lovely day it's been today in Morayshire! Spring has well and truely sprung. Daffodils, swallows, sunshine, etc. Terrific! And all of a sudden the days seem twice as long. Somewhat surprisingly therefore this morning I'd decided to give the cycling legs a rest today. I've just started my running programme again in preparation for another marathon later in the year and, as usual, the initial runs have taken their toll on my muscles. You've got to be careful when going from non weight-bearing cycling to running, particularly if you're wanting to up the running mileage quickly. So, with a rest day planned, I set about checking my bikes over for wear and tear, etc. A few hours later and I'd identified that my bikes require a new headset, disc brake pads, gear & brake cables and various "cosmetic surgery" to improve appearances. Cycling's great, but it can take its toll on the wallet at times! After my efforts, the only bike fit for immediate duty was my road bike and, with the sun still shining brightly in the late afternoon, I convinced myself that my legs could stand a few miles on the road - so much for the rest day!

Launching myself at a steady pace into the countryisde with no particular route in mind, the miles began to tick by nicely. It's funny how seemingly tired legs can so quickly come round and before long I'd increased the pace a little. The roads seemed even quieter than usual (which is pretty damn quiet!) and at times it felt like I had the entire place to myself. Everywhere is certainly looking very green. I think the only "greener" place I've been, and a country which seems to have many similarities to the geography of Scotland, is Norway. I was lucky enough to spend three weeks travelling up and down Norway a couple of years ago. What a fantastic country! The scenary, geography and geoloy of the place is breathtaking. From huge, powerful waterfalls to similarly immense Fjords and rock walls, at times you don't know which way to look! It's certainly a place I intend to return to, whether on foot or bike. If you get the opportunity to go, I wouldn't pass it up. The only downside is that it tends to rain quite alot. But, I guess the waterfalls, etc wouldn't be too spectacular without it! When the rain stops though and the sun shines, rest assured, if you like the "great outdoors" you'll love Norway. Here's a somewhat "extreme" view of Norway courtesy of the guys at Oslo Base - don't forget to check out the scenary whilst your jaw is dropping! The one throwing himself off the enormous cliff is a chap by the name of Andre Bach. I happen to know that he's also partial to spot of mountain biking.......when he wants to take things a little more sedately...... . Don't try this at home folks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYGJQkr2t4o

Regards

TPR