Sunday 20 April 2008

New Trail

Having covered some 70 miles or so on the road bike in good company yesterday, I decide that a little off road adventure will go down very well today. Nothing too big, the legs not having fully recovered from the previous day's exertions - about 15 miles should do. And to up the interest factor, I opt to break some new trail - new to me that is. I really enjoy picking up the map and planning a new route. Today's ride will take me on forest and moorland track into the middle of nowhere - nowhere being the heart of Morayshire!

Only a mile or so into the ride on rough track, I'm pleasantly surprised to see another human being- rare in these parts! A farmer on a quad bike checking his livestock. I give him a cheery "How do?" as I pass and he responds with a less than enthusiastic, "Alright" - clearly he's thinking something along the lines of, "What is this silly bugger doing out here on a bike? Nowt better to do!" - but I might be doing him an injustice! Three or four miles covered, mostly uphill, and I reach a high stile. Having just about managed not to fall off the top, bike in hand, it's all new trail from now on. The track leads south, deep into beautiful moorland. Whilst game shooters clearly come this way now and again in 4x4s, I wouldn't be surprised if no other mountain biker has being here in months, years, or possibly ever! A couple more miles under the wheels and the moorland opens up all around, providing stunning views and revealing a lovely little loch. My approach disturbs what look like a couple of Canadian Geese (although I'm no Bill Oddie!), which take flight. I pull my pump action shotgun from my backpack and let rip, taking them both down, feathers flying in all directions! Goose for tea. Only joking, readers! Just checking you're still awake!

Off in the distance, further to the South I spot what looks to be a bothy. It appears to be at the trail side and I decide to make that my turnaround point. As I draw nearer the building, I see that it is in fact a large wooden shed with windows. It stands a hundred yards or so from the trail and, ditching the bike, I approach on foot. Could there be someone at home? A deranged gamekeeper perhaps, driven mad by too much whisky, gun in hand, waiting, watching for those that would dare to trespass...... . Funnily enough, no. It's empty, bar for a long table and benches. But what a view it commands in the April sunshine! You'd have to see it to believe it. But that would mean revealing my location and I think I'd like to keep this spot to myself for a little while.....

Once again, the reasons I love to ride off road are impressed upon me. For those that have yet to tear themselves away from their road bikes and the tarmac to give the trail a go, I can only say, don't leave it too long.

Yours

TPR