Sunday 24 February 2008

Billy Wind

Evening, All.

Well, the weekend is drawing to a close again, but it's been a good one on the cycling front. I was out on the bike Saturday and today, which I don't usually do in the winter. Road yesterday, off road today. But my goodness it's been windy! And hard work it made it at times. Setting off yesterday I struggled to get over 10mph for the first mile or so into the teeth of the wind. All I needed was a straw shopping basket on the front to complete the "old lady on a bike" appearance.......and perhaps a blue rinse. But, I struggled bravely on. I decided a spot of hill work was in order and put together a 25 mile ish route with plenty of ups and downs. I'm no Lucien Van Impe that's for sure, but I do like to climb. Or should I say, I like to climb when I'm feeling good! Anyway, considering I'm really just emerging from my winter hibernation I didn't feel too bad all in all. The old pins were firing well enough and my heart wasn't beating too hard when I put the hammer down every now and then for a few minutes. I fueled up well before setting off though, which no doubt helped - big bowl of porridge with plenty of raisins - "excellente!", as the Ambassador might say. I can wholeheartedly recommend said dish as a good cycling breakfast. So, battling the wind aside, an enjoyable couple of hours in the saddle. Sadly, on returning home and stepping into the shower, the bloody thing didn't work! I will be drafting a stern e-mail to my landlord, Mr Rigsby, shortly!

For today I'd arranged an off road jaunt with a friend of mine. I don't venture out much at all on the MTB during the winter months, but it was good to get a few miles in on the knobbly tyres. No traffic to worry about, flying along on single-track through the trees, etc. Most enjoyable. Unlike me, my friend isn't that keen on climbing, but he's much improved since his early off road days. Billy Bunter they use to call him at school, or something like that, but now he's a pretty fit guy. He use to be big into pumping iron a good few years ago. Rumour has it that he could bench press 500lbs at his strongest, but I think someone must have added a "0" to the figure by mistake! Anyway, he faired very well on the ups today - a testament that climbing ability can be greatly improved with a bit of hard work. No wildlife spotted on the trail today unfortunately. There's usually the odd deer or two to be seen at least. We did come across an entire family out on their bikes though, which was good to see - humans not deer. I'm looking forward to going out on the MTB with my friend and his young daughter some time this Spring. She's 8 and has just got her first mountain bike. We'll be taking it easy on her though - no more than 30 miles on the first outing.......

Well, my glass of real ale is nearly dry and I can hear another bottle calling me from the kitchen cupboard. Time to put the feet up and rest the legs a while.

Yours

TPR