Sunday 9 March 2008

A Late Winter Saunter

Hello, fellow cyclists.

What a lovely day it's been in glorious Morayshire! No sign of the impending "Doomsday" storm as yet and plenty of sunshine throughout the day. Splendid.

I felt fighting fit this morning and was raring to go on the bike. Having done a long, steady ride last Sunday, I planned a shorter and more vigorous ride today. 25 miles or so on the lovely, quiet, country roads around and about Forres, Pluscarden Abbey and Dallas. I met up with one of my posse who's always ready for a bike ride on such a fine day. Having exchanged "Good mornings" we set about burning up the tarmac in earnest. These roads are a cyclist's dream - surrounded by beautiful countryside and rarely any traffic to worry about. The miles fly by and before long my partner in crime declares that he must head back home in order to undertake "The Big Shop", i.e. trawling the isles of Asda, Elgin with "her indoors" and the youngsters. Poor chap! No such concerns for me, and, as I bid my friend farewell, I offer up a silent prayer for his safe passage through the trolley invested fruit and vegetable section. One more sizeable hill is all that stands in the way of my obligatory post-ride soup and several, butter-laden, "doorstep" slices of bread. The mere thought of it gives my legs a fresh injection of energy and I tear up the climb like a man possessed! "What!? Explosive hill climbing in early March?!", I hear the old school roadies cry. I'm afraid so - The Pale Rider has little regard for convention (I hope my knees don't pay the price!)

Having given the legs a good work out, I decide to go for an easy stroll in the afternoon; the old railway line from Craigellachie to Dufftown. This really is a lovely walk (or bike ride), particularly on a nice day like today. It's four miles to Dufftown, but I only intend to walk less than half that. This trail makes a good, very gentle introduction to off-road biking; perfect for new mountain bikers of a nervous disposition or for a family outing on the bikes. It's a great ride on the way back too, as it's nearly all downhill and you can really belt along. But, keep an eye out for those on foot!

The old line runs parallel with the fast flowing River Fiddich and the sound of the water is ever present. Many of the trees which line the path and stretch up the valley sides are of great size. I find it humbling to stand close by and look upon such mighty specimens, many decades older than myself. The path climbs steadily towards Dufftown. Moss and tree covered cuttings rise up on either side. It's tranquil and one cannot help but be relaxed by the surroundings. There are several short paths leading off the old line to picnic benches nearer the river and these offer a lovely spot for a summer's day. Soon enough I reach the railway bridge over the river, where I've decided to turn back. Again, this is a great place to stand or sit awhile and soak up the surroundings. But, as beautiful as the scene is, something is calling me back to Craigellachie - a beer in the Fiddichside Inn! I'm soon sat by the open fire, pint and crisps in hand. It's pretty busy with locals, some of whom have clearly been in the pub most of the afternoon! But it's all good-natured stuff. Pubs like the Fiddichside are very few and far between these days and I fear that in the not too distant future they will all be gone, although I hope not! If you find yourself in Craigellachie and enjoy a pint in a real pub, call in.

On the way back home on the high moorland road, the late winter sun casts a mellow, golden glow over the Morayshire landscape. A truely wondrous vista. I hope to see you out there on the bike soon.

Yours

TPR